Tuesday 14 June 2011

Strains of music on the breeze

Dear Drain,
Many many thanks for posting the list of madrigals on Sue's CD. The names alone got me going. I was running down the list and as I saw each title, a snatch of something akin to a line wafted into my consciousness, much like strains of music on the breeze. I know, I know, that's a bit OTT, but it really was like that. Then I came to Adieu Sweet Amaryllis, and suddenly I was singing it. But not only that, I was singing the alto line, and realised I had no recollection of the top line at all. Isn't memory amazing? I could sing the entire alto part note for note (okay, maybe there were a few wobbles and fade outs along the way) but nothing else came to mind. Well, of course I had to satisfy myself that I wasn't completely gaga, and went looking on YouTube. There are several recordings of it, but I thought this group was about the same size as our madrigal group, and the performance is quite nice. Maybe you know of some others? Anyhow, I enjoyed wailing along with it.

Click here please

I am so enjoying the blog, drain, but sometimes I can't place the surname initial with the person...my memory never has been good for names. Give me a face any day!
Looking forward to more.
Warmest regards to you both.
Val Poore

P.S. A number of people have expressed trouble identifying contributors from initials only. So I have taken the liberty of adding surnames and to hell with data protection! Hope everyone's happy. No superinjunctions, please. Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment