Tuesday 26 July 2011

Ernest Wellings

So...back from my travels to hear some sad news.
Brian Manners rang to tell me that on Sunday 17th July Ernest died.
I know from conversations with family members that Ernest had been enthusiastic about the reunion and was considering whether he could come. The news is doubly sad inasmuch as I understand that until recently he had been quite active and that travelling from his home in west Devon to Lyme Regis had been something he had been willing to contemplate.
A number of you in your letters to me have mentioned the special place Ernest has in your memories: a kind and gentle man with music being only one of many abilities. I remember not many years after Yugoslavia visiting Ernest in his West Hill home: interested in all I had been doing and particularly intrigued to hear I was considering moving out of teaching he gave me a few words of wisdom and encouragement I have never forgotten. Adrian

1 comment:

  1. I'm so very sorry to hear this, Drain. I think we were all hoping and praying he'd be able to make it, so it's a loss we will all feel. Is there any chance we could contribute to some flowers or a message for his funeral or memorial service? Maybe the funeral has been and gone already, so perhaps a card to his surviving family might be nice. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete